Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Power of New Media


There is no denying that the way we communicate with one another has changed and will continue to change constantly. I think the fact that technology continues to improve has more of a positive affect on society, rather than an adverse affect on it. Even though there are lots of negative aspects, I believe the positive ones out weight the negative ones. I can live with the fact that Steve Jobs has a new Mac product or two each and every year. As Professor Daniels pointed out on her blog via the New York Times and as we discussed in our previous class, new media like Twitter and Facebook makes it easier for people to communicate and organize for something.

This type of organizing can come in handy when something like this happens , on Amazon and stirs enough outrage in people for them to use media out lets like Twitter to vent their anger and disgust and try to put an end to it by using new media. It is great to see things like this happen almost instantaneously and people react in real time with other people. When I first heard about Twitter last year I thought it was a very silly idea because I did not think anyone would care about what I was doing every second of the day, and I thought anyone who had the time to tweet all those updates was crazy, but now I am a little less skeptical about it. I never thought about using Twitter, or Facebook as a way to organize people, or communicate with them so they could be somewhere, or they could get information almost instantaneously. Along with the excellent power point presentation from the last class, I have learned quite a bit of very fascinating information about technology and how it has advanced in such a short amount of time. If people can vent their anger about this, then there is no telling how else this new media can be used for the good of humanity and society. I am excited to see where else new media leads us in the coming years.

No comments: