Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gay Marriage In Maine

Every generation dreams and aspires to be a part of a move, cause, or fight that highlights something positive, something that will be remembered for centuries and written in textbooks for future generations to see. When I read this story about Maine introducing a bill to allow Gay Marriage, I admit I got a little choked up, and not just because more states are starting to join in on the recent wave of acceptance, but rather because of the warm, standing ovation the senator who introduced it received. This part of the story also made me feel very happy and that our generation was standing up for a population I personally felt was being discriminated against.

"The time has come to recognize same-sex marriages." That one sentence, in my opinion says it all, and I think it is long overdue to accept same-sex marriage, too. The senator also stated in the article that his proposal "recognizes the worth of every man and woman among us and that it is backed by 60 co-sponsors."

I really do think this is a beautiful thing and the fact that it received such a warm and welcoming response gives me a renewed sense of optimism for an end to discrimination and for a more welcoming society. When the people we elect can work together like this and pass legislation that works for a minority group it is fantastic. I really hope New York state can heed this example and also pass a bill that allows same-sex marriage.

No comments: